Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Kannada Cinema : Piracy ?

In my continuing awe of the Kannada Film Industry, I'd like to put down some peculiarities that I noticed. Im glad to note that, I found some of them very heartening !

The entire industry seems to be well knit (or well controlled ?) in their fight against video piracy. Since my earlier visits to National Market, in Gandhinagar, Bangalore, I have noticed pirated DVD's of all South Indian languages except for Kannada. I have found this to be very strange, for the Indian ingenious mind is always adept at finding the back door quickly. This is indeed a victory for the industry ! DVD's are apparently not printed until 5-7 years after the release of the movie. The only downside I could find - I have missed some recent, good Kannada movies and the only way to watch them is on TV with a zillion ad's or wait for 5-7 years....!

Coming to the better part : While shopping for the Aa Dinagalu CD, I noticed the price tag of some of the new stuff and was absolutely amazed by the pricing ! For 50 bucks, I had the music of about 3 movies. On some CD's it was 5 movies and 8 movies on some others.. all for a mere 50 bucks !!! It was unbelievable ..! I ended up with a good haul of about 6 CD's costing me just - Rs.300 in total. Btw, the quality is excellent and the print job is cool, as well. With that money, I wonder how many SONY or EMI CD's I could have bought of The Beatles or Britney !

What I really appreciate here is that the Suppliers have taken away the need for Piracy. They've kept the CD's affordable and presented a splendid mix of movies for the cine buff to listen to and enjoy - while NO intellectual property is infringed upon ! Sheer common sense and Economics may be... but worthy of praise ..!! DEFINITELY YES !!

A job very well done & this time its for our cine industry to give a strong pat on its own back!

No comments: